António Salgado PhD is a biologist and received his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering - TissueEngineering and Hybrid Materials, from the University of Minho in 2005. His PhD work consisted on the development of novel bone tissue engineering strategies based on starch based 3D scaffold and was carried out in the 3B’s ResearchGroup in collaboration with the National University of Singapore and University of Toronto. In 2005 he started a post-doc at the University of Toronto, which was then continued at the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS) at University of Minho, dedicated to CNS regeneration. Currently he is PrincipaI Investigator and an invited Professor at the Life and Health Sciences ResearchInstitute (ICVS), School of Health Sciences, University of Minho. His research interests are focused on the development of innovative therapies for CNS repair. His main areas of research are: 1) Development of ECM like hydrogels for the transplantation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells into the injured CNS; 2) Role of the secretome of MSCs in neuroprotection and repair and 3) Modulation of MSCs secretome through bioreactor based approaches. He is currently an author of 60 papers (h-index=21), with over 2000 citations. He currently supervises 2 post-doc and 8 post-graduation students. He has so far obtained over 1M€ of competitive funding from national and international agencies.
- J.S. Fraga, N.A. Silva,A.S. Lourenço, V. Gonçalves, N.M. Neves, R.L. Reis, A.J. Rodrigues, B. Manadas,N. Sousa, A.J. Salgado. “Unveiling the Effects of the Secretome of Mesenchymal Progenitors from the Umbilical Cordin Different Neuronal Cell Populations”. BIOCHIMIE, (2013), 95:2297-2303.
- F.G. Teixeira, M.M.Carvalho, N. Sousa, A.J. Salgado.“Mesenchymal Stem Cells Secretome: A New Paradigm for Central Nervous System Regeneration?”. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, (2013), 70: 3871-3882.
- M.M. Carvalho, F.L.Campos, B. Coimbra, J.M. Pêgo, C. Rodrigues, R. Lima, N. Sousa, A.J.Salgado. “Behavioral characterization of the 6-hydroxidopamine model of Parkinson's disease and pharmacological rescuing of non-motor deficits”. Molecular NeuroDegeneration, (2013), 8(1): 14
- S.R. Cerqueira, J.M. Oliveira, N.A. Silva, H.Leite-Almeida, S. Ribeiro-Samy, A. Almeida, J.F. Mano, N. Sousa, A.J. Salgado, R.L. Reis. “Microglia Response and In Vivo Therapeutic Potential of Methlyprednisolone-Loaded Dendrimer Nanoparticles in Spinal Cord Injury”. Small, (2012), 9(5): 738-749. (A.J. Salgado is the corresponding author).
N.A. Silva, R.A. Sousa, J. S. Fraga, M. Fontes, H. Leite-Almeida, R. Cerqueira, A. Almeida, N. Sousa,R. L Reis, A.J. Salgado. “Benefits of Spine Stabilization with Biodegradable Scaffolds in Spinal Cord Injured Rats”. Tissue Engineering – Part C.(2013), 19(2): 101-108.
- N.A Silva, M.J. Cooke, R.Y. Tam, N. Sousa, A.J. Salgado, R.L. Reis, M.S.Shoichet. “The Effects of Peptide Modified Gellan Gum and Olfactory Ensheathing Glia Cells on Neural Stem/Progenitor Cell Fate”. Biomaterials.(2012), 33(27); 6345-6354.
- C.A. Ribeiro, J.S. Fraga, M.Grãos. N.M. Neves, R.L. Reis, N. Sousa, A.J.Salgado. “The Secretome of Stem Cells Isolated from the Adipose Tissue and Wharton Jelly Acts Differently on Central Nervous System derived Cell Populations”. Stem Cell Research and Therapy, (2012), 3(3): 18
- J.M. Oliveira, A.J. Salgado, N. Sousa, R.L. Reis. “Dendrimers and its derivatives as a potential therapeutic tool in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine strategies: a review”. Progress in Polymer Science, (2010), 35, 1163-1194.
- A.J.Salgado, J.S. Fraga, A.R. Mesquita, N.M. Neves, R.L.Reis, N. Sousa, “Role of HumanUmbilical Cord Mesenchymal Progenitors Conditioned Media in Neuronal/Glial CellDensities, Viability and Proliferation.”. StemCells & Development, (2010), 19(7): 1067-1074.
Oliveira JM, Salgado AJ, Sousa N, Mano JF, Reis RL. Dendrimers and derivatives as a potential therapeutic tool in regenerative medicine strategies-A review. Progress in Polymer Science. 2010 Nov; 35(9): 1163-94. doi: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2010.04.006
Silva NA, Sousa N, Reis RL, Salgado AJ. From Basics to Clinical: A Comprehensive Review on Spinal Cord Injury. Prog Neurobiol, 114:25-57 (2014).
Haastert-Talini K, Geuna S., Dahlin LB, Meyer C, Stenberg S, Freier T, Heimann H., Barwig C, Pinto LFV, Raimondo S, Gambarotta G., Ribeiro Samy S, Sousa N, Salgado AJ, Ratzka A, Wrobel S, Grothe C. Chitosan tubes of varying degrees of acetylation for bridging peripheral nerve defects. Biomaterials, 34(38):9886-904 (2013).
Silva NA, Cooke MJ, Tam RY, Sousa N, Salgado AJ, Reis RL, Shoichet MS. The effects of peptide modified gellan gum and olfactory ensheathing glia cells on neural stem/progenitor cell fate. Biomaterials. 2012 Sep;33(27):6345-54. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.05.050. Epub 2012 Jun 12.
Teixeira FG, Carvalho MM, Sousa N, Salgado AJ. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Secretome: a new paradigm for Central Nervous System Regeneration? Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013 Oct;70(20):3871-82. doi: 10.1007/s00018-013-1290-8. Epub 2013 Mar 1.