Bruno Costa (BC) is an Investigator FCT (Assistant Researcher) working at the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS), University of Minho (Portugal). He is Assistant Editor of the Epigenetics in Cancer journal.
He graduated in Applied Biology in 2003 and completed his PhD degree in Health Sciences in December 2008 by the University of Minho. During his PhD studies, BC also worked for 2 years at the UCSF (University of California, San Francisco, USA). Between January 2009 and June 2013, he was a Post-Doc fellow from FCT (Portugal) at the ICVS/3B’s, a recently established Portuguese Associate Laboratory. During his scientific career, BC has worked in several research groups in Portugal (University of Porto and University of Minho), in the Netherlands (Leiden University Medical Centre), and in the USA (University of California, San Francisco).
BC is mainly interested in the study of molecular (genetic and epigenetic) hallmarks of human brain tumors, and how these can be translated into therapeutic and prognostic value. Of all brain tumors, glioblastoma (GBM) is particularly devastating, being the most common and most malignant type. The clinical outcomes are very poor and vary greatly among patients. Paradoxically, GBM patients are almost always treated with a “one fits all” standard approach, mostly because good prognostic and drug response biomarkers are still lacking. Using a wide panoply of biological samples, ranging from in vitro and in vivo models, to primary tumor samples obtained from patients, BC has been focused on identifying novel biomarkers of GBM and exploiting novel therapeutic strategies to target oncogenic features.
Honors and Prizes
2000 Merit Diploma 1999/2000, University of Minho
2001 Merit Diploma 2000/2001, University of Minho
2002 Merit Diploma 2001/2002, University of Minho
2003 Best Student of Applied Biology in 1999-2003, University of Minho
2003 Erasmus Scholarship Award
2005 Portuguese Science Foundation (FCT) PhD scholarship
2006 Research Fellowship from the Luso-American Development Foundation (FLAD)
2009 Portuguese Science Foundation (FCT) Post-Doc scholarship
2010 Award from Portuguese League Against Cancer
2010 Award from Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (Investigação Na Fronteira das Ciências da Vida)
2011 FEBS Youth Travel Grant
2011 Award from Portuguese League Against Cancer
2013 Best Poster Award at the XXII Porto Cancer Meeting
2013 EACR (European Association for Cancer Research) Meeting Bursary Award
2013 Investigator FCT
10 Selected Publications
- Costa, B.M., Ferreira P., Costa S., Canedo P., Oliveira P., Silva A., Pardal F., Suriano G., Machado J.C., Lopes J.M., Reis R.M. Association between functional EGF+61 polymorphism and glioma risk. Clin Cancer Res. 2007 May 1;13(9):2621-6.
- Costa, B.M.; Smith, J.S.; Chen, Y.; Chen, J; Phillips, H.S.; Aldape, K.D.; Zardo, G.; Nigro, J.; James, C.D.; Fridlyand, J.; Reis, R.M.; Costello, J.F. Reversing HOXA9 Oncogene Activation by PI3K Inhibition: Epigenetic Mechanism and Prognostic Significance in Human Glioblastoma. Cancer Research, 2010 Jan 15; 70(2):453-62.
- Costa, B.M.; Caeiro, C.; Guimarães, I.; Martinho, O.; Jaraquemada, T.; Silva, A.; Pardal, F.; Amorim, J.; Nabiço R.; Almeida R.; Alegria C.; Castro, L.; Augusto, I.; Osório, L.; Linhares, P.; Pires, M.M.; Pinheiro, C.; Carvalho, E.; Honavar, M.; Resende, M.; Braga, F.; Lopes, J.M.; Costa, P.; Damasceno, M.; Reis, RM. Prognostic Value of MGMT Promoter Methylation in Glioblastoma Patients Treated with Temozolomide-Based Chemoradiation: a Portuguese Multicentre Study. Oncology Reports 2010, 23: 1655-1662.
- Araújo, A.P.; Costa, B.M.; Pinto-Correia, A.L.; Fragoso, M.; Ferreira, P.; Dinis-Ribeiro, M.; Costa, S.; Reis, R.M.; Medeiros, R. Association between EGF +61A/G polymorphism and gastric cancer in Caucasians. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2011; 17(4): 488-492.
- Costa, B.M.; Pereira, M.V.; Fernandes, R.; Costa, S.; Silva, A.; Pardal, F.; Amorim, J.; Nabiço, R.; Almeida, R.; Alegria, C.; Pires, M.M.; Pinheiro, C.; Carvalho, E.; Oliveira, P.; Lopes, J.M.; Reis, R.M. “Impact of EGFR Genetic Variants on Glioma Risk and Patient Outcome”. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 2011 Dec; 20(12):2610-7.
- Butowski, N.; Chang, S.M.; Lamborn, K.R.; Polley, M.Y.; Pieper, R.; Costa B.M.; Reis, R. M.; Costello, J.F.; Vandenberg, S.; Parvataneni, R.; Nicole, A.; Kazmierski, M.H.; Nicol, S.J.; Thornton, D.E.; Prados, M.D. “Phase II and Pharmacogenomics Study of Enzastaurin plus Temozolomide During and Following Radiation Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme and Gliosarcoma”. Neuro-Oncology, 2011 Dec;13(12):1331-8.
- Mello, R.A.; Costa, B.M.; Reis, R.M.; Hespanhol, V. Insights into angiogenesis in non-small cell lung cancer: molecular mechanisms, polymorphic genes, and targeted therapies. Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery, 2012 Jan; 7(1):118-31.
- Rodrigues, A.J.; Leão, P.; Pego, J.M.; Cardona, D.; Carvalho, M.M.; Oliveira, M.; Costa, B. M.; Carvalho, A.F.; Morgado, P.; Araújo, D.; Palha, J.A.; Almeida, O.F.X.; Sousa, N. “Mechanisms of Initiation and Reversal of Drug Seeking Behavior Induced by Prenatal Exposure to Glucocorticoids”, Molecular Psychiatry, 2012 Dec;17(12):1295-305.
- Pojo M., Cerqueira S.R., Mota T., Xavier-Magalhães A., Ribeiro-Samy S., Mano J.F., Oliveira J.M., Reis R.L., Sousa N., Costa B.M., Salgado A.J. In vitro evaluation of the cytotoxicity and cellular uptake of CMCht/PAMAM dendrimer nanoparticles by glioblastoma cell models. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013, 15:1621.
- Magalhães A.X., Nandhabalan M., Jones C., Costa BM. Molecular prognostic factors in glioblastoma: state of the art and future challenges. CNS Oncology 2013, 2(6), 1-16.
Translating Mechanisms of Aggressiveness in Brain Tumors into Prognostic and Therapeutic Value: Insights from the Oncogenic HOXA9 Homeoprotein (Leader)
Rodrigues AJ, Leão P, Pêgo JM, Cardona D, Carvalho MM, Oliveira M, Costa BM, Carvalho AF, Morgado P, Araújo D, Palha JA, Almeida OF, Sousa N. Mechanisms of initiation and reversal of drug-seeking behavior induced by prenatal exposure to glucocorticoids. Mol Psychiatry. 2012 Dec;17(12):1295-305. doi: 10.1038/mp.2011.126.
Costa BM, Smith JS, Chen Y, Chen J, Phillips HS, Aldape KD, Zardo G, Nigro J, James CD, Fridlyand J, Reis RM, Costello JF. Reversing HOXA9 oncogene activation by PI3K inhibition: epigenetic mechanism and prognostic significance in human glioblastoma. Cancer Res. 2010 Jan 15;70(2):453-62. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-2189. Epub 2010 Jan 12.
Almeida-Rios D, Graça I, Vieira FQ, Ramalho-Carvalho J, Pereira-Silva E, Martins AT, Oliveira J, Gonçalves CS, Costa BM, Henrique R, Jerónimo C. Histone methyltransferase PRMT6 plays an oncogenic role in prostate cancer. Oncotarget, 2016; 7(33): 53018-53028.
Miranda-Gonçalves V, Granja S, Martinho O, Honavar M, Pojo M, Costa BM, Pires MM, Pinheiro C, Cordeiro M, Bebiano G, Costa P, Reis RM, Baltazar F. Hypoxia-mediated upregulation of MCT1 expression supports the glycolytic phenotype of glioblastomas. Oncotarget, 2016; 7(29):46335-46353
Butowski N, Chang SM, Lamborn KR, Polley MY, Pieper R, Costello JF, Vandenberg S, Parvataneni R, Nicole A, Sneed PK, Clarke J, Hsieh E, Costa BM, Reis RM, Hristova-Kazmierski M, Nicol SJ, Thornton DE, Prados MD. Phase II and pharmacogenomics study of enzastaurin plus temozolomide during and following radiation therapy in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme and gliosarcoma. Neuro Oncol. 2011 Dec;13(12):1331-8. doi: 10.1093/neuonc/nor130. Epub 2011 Sep 6.